Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Method Behind the Madness

You know it's been a hectic week when I whip out my secret weapon.

Which is this:

I go through and make a list of every major ingredient we have in the house. This means things like bisquick, tomatoes, marmalade, etc. This does not include things like salt, breadcrumbs, and other piffling little details. I then take a long, hard look at my life - er, the list, and match things up to form recipes. This is how I wring out the last semblance of a meal from unlikely ingredients. I hate to have extra food sitting around that I know I will never use. For instance, here is this week's list:

-Baking ingredients: flour, bisquick, sugar, vanilla, heavy cream - only 2 eggs though!
-Main dish potentials: pasta and sauce, fake hamburger, box mashed potatoes, spanish rice
-Condiments: mayonnaise, mustard, soy sauce, hot sauce
-Produce: 1/4 tomato, 2 green peppers, some v. old apples/oranges
-Canned: refried beans, peaches, chickpeas
-Snacks: pickles, granola, individually wrapped cheese
-Junk food: popsicles, chocolate lollipops

No, I didn't forget to write down bread or milk. We just don't have them. The Good Lord help us.

I have many intriguing photos to share, but sadly, I need to use up the film in my camera before I can do so. Toodle-oo.

p.s. Just walked out into the kitchen and found an empty pot of frosting with a spoon atop it. Has my man really sunk that low? Tune in next week to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment